dilemma, quandary — (state of uncertainty or perplexity especially as requiring a choice between equally unfavorable options)
Well, everything happens together doesn’t it? At least it’s been the case so far. Dang it!! I am in a quandary – coz I have to choose between 2 unfavorable options!! Aaarggghh the pain of moving your residence [:P]!!
Till now I have been looking for a nice apartment to enjoy Germany at a lesser price. Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE my current apartment, it’s just that I can’t afford it, if I need to save any money outta this otherwise slightly harassing experience.
I get one [thanks to Jonas – he managed to even rope in an appointment with the current tenant], which is bang opposite my current place of residence. The best part about it is that, there is not much of a move – my gym – one of the few things I have grown to love is right by my side – about a minute of walking away from me. Everything else is close to me – the provision store, the bus stop – the train station itself is a mere 10-15 mins walk away!! – The rent almost half of what I am paying for a bigger apartment as well! it’s just 360 Euros – yes a lotta things like utilities are missing!!
On the other hand, one of my colleagues told me that one of his team-mates is coming to Erlangen and he’s interested in sharing an apartment. There’s a bigger apartment available – for close to 600 Euros [to be borne by 2]. However, it’s almost at the other end of town. Going in a complete opposite direction from the bus stop!!
So, lemme do a pros/cons finance analysis..
New apartment opp my current place
- Close to the gym – which is awesome
- Close to grocery/bus stop
- Walking distance from the Bahnhof
- City Centre and bus services are regular
- Love my privacy
- Net/Telephone shouldn’t be too much of a problem\
- Kinda lonely
- Everything has to be done by urself
- Haven’t checked on what all is going to be available for me – as in washer/dryer/wardrobe/cupboards/bed/vessels etc
- All payments apart from the rent also has to be borne by myself – including – telephone/DSL/grocery/Cooking/Bedding etc
Rent + Hot costs [heating/electricity/maintenance/elevator charges etc] = approx 400 Euros!!
House deposit = 800 Euros = 2 months deposit [shall get 600 Euros from current]
Option of moving in with a house-mate
- Rent will be cheap
- Everything is shared – especially house maintenance
- Wont be too lonely
- In a bigger apartment with a healthy Indian population
- House mate from the same place of work
- A new gym with more facilities
- All facilities are shared – telephone/DSL/house deposit etc
- Bus service all the time to/from Bahnhof
- Far from my current gym = bad as I really loved this place
- What if the house mate is a pain in various parts of the anatomy
- Don’t wanna lose my privacy whenever I feel like talking to anyone
- On the other side of the city
– Rent = 600 Euros total shared by 2 = approx 300 Euros a month!! [which is half of what I am paying just for rent rite now]!!
– Deposit = 2 months – but that again has to be shared = 600 Euros!!
So, overall, money wise, shifting in with a house mate is a wise decision!! I am just wondering about my privacy and how i am now used to living all alone – carefree!! Is paying that extra bit of money worth the privacy is what is left to be seen!! *sigh* why does life have to be so damn hard :P!!
Update: Decision yet to be made, but have decided that I have the time up until that potential room mate sets foot in Germany!! So gonna go ahead with enquiring further details about the other option that I have!! No decision has yet been made!!